Thursday, June 24, 2010

Consider Yourself Warned

There will definitely be posts written about the kids. I can't NOT write about them :-). So if you don't want to read about that kind of stuff, you should probably leave now. So there's your warning.


And here I go right in to potty training territory.
LOL. Ryan never seemed to mind being wet or dirty. At 4 1/2 years old he was still wearing diapers. The "experts" say to wait for signs of readiness. He was showing none and I was starting to feel ridiculous changing his diapers. Yes, he was (is) developmentally delayed, but he is SMART. When he was exactly 4 1/2, I decided we were going to give potty training a shot. Within 3 weeks he was fully trained and really hardly had any accidents at all.


Brooke turned 2 in March. She has started telling me when she poops and wants changed right away (99% of the time). Of course, she also uses the "I pooped" card to try to get out of things (like her crib at night once in awhile because she knows I will check her diaper even though I'm 99.99% sure she is lying). LOL. I also discovered recently that she notices when she pees, at least when her diaper is off (she peed on the floor while we were on vacation in the middle of me changing her in to her swim stuff). And that is something Ryan didn't realize for the longest time. I've been talking to her about the potty for a little while now.


Today, I decided we would give it a little bit of a try and see what she did. I stripped her down (this is how Ryan started out, too....underwear and other clothing came after a week or so) to her birthday suit late this morning. She would sit on the potty chair for a few minutes and get up and go play and then I would make her sit down again. The first time she peed, I don't think she realized it, but we still made a huge deal out of it and she got an M&M. Then she pooped on the floor, which may or may not have been somewhat of an accident because she had been sitting on the potty right before she did it. Then the next time she peed, I was walking back in to the room and she picked the potty insert up and shoved it towards me and said, "I peed!" LOL! Then it was lunch and naptime and we didn't really try again until right before dinner. She peed on the potty and then the next time I caught her mid-pee going on the floor. I think she stopped before I even said anything and I sat her on the potty chair and she finished on there. Then stood up and cried. LOL. She kept saying, "Yucky!" and I kept telling her that peeing in the potty was good and only peeing on the floor was yucky. She peed once more after dinner and stood up and announced it and then it was about time to get her diaper and pajamas on for bed.


I'm not really sure how much I'm going to push this right now as a full time thing, especially since the kids will be going with their dad Saturday to go spend the night at his aunt and uncle's camper with his parents....but we'll see where it goes from here and if she starts asking to go on her own at all. I'm not sure if she's 100% ready yet, but she is definitely at least getting close!


I didn't get any pictures of her on the potty today or I would have posted those (no full nudey shots, of course)!

No comments: