Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Great Weekend

My parents came to visit over the weekend :-). They were originally going to come Saturday morning and stay over and leave Sunday, but they decided to come Friday night instead. It worked out nicely because Joe's parents were out of town for the weekend, so my parents were able to stay in their room and be more comfortable (vs. sleeping on the pull-out couch).

Saturday morning we hung out outside and the kids played in the yard and my mom somehow became the "swing pusher", lol. Brooke and Cole love the swings and swinging really high. This is the first year Ryan has wanted *anything to do with swings and he won't swing very high, but I'm proud of him for trying (unfortunately no swing pictures of him this time).


Unfortunately this is the best picture I got of Brooke on the swing.




My camera was doing some weird things that day, but this picture turned out neat.



My dad and Ryan playing baseball with a big bouncy ball.




Joe finished painting Cole's "old" car todder bed for Brooke. This car used to be blue! Brooke will start sleeping in here once we move in to our house.


Saturday evening after dinner, we all went to the driving range. It was Ryan and Cole's first time going. We thought they would like it and they really did. Brooke was content mostly to sit in the stroller and watch, although she got her turn at the very end when Joe helped her hit a few balls.








It was so windy!


She still loves buckles!




Sunday morning Joe and the kids and I went to church (my parents declined this time...turds, lol). The pastor just started a new series called "7 Easy Ways to Wreck Your Life" and I think it's going to be interesting. Joe and I signed up for small group discussion, which will be Wednesday nights (starting tomorrow nigh). Joe has done these before, but this is my first time (obviously). I'm a little nervous since I'm not sure exactly what to expect and I can be quite shy around people I don't know at first, but I'm excited about it, too. The kids will be going and doing their own thing at the church while we're in our group.

Cole left with his mom from church (she goes to the same church) to spend the day with her. Joe, my parents, the kids, and I all ended up going to a sports bar to watch the Steelers game at 1:00. I'm not a big football fan, but I love Rick's. My mom is not a football fan AT ALL and didn't really want to go, but she did and I think she ended up having fun. My sister and her hubby came, too. I figured I would be leaving by halftime with the kids because they would be driving me bonkers by then, especially with it being during Brooke's naptime. But they did AWESOME! Brooke loved the complimentary popcorn and that kept her occupied until the food came. Ryan alternated between playing the VSmile pocket and Leapster. They both ate their food great. Then Ryan had to go to the bathroom and my mom took him. He spotted the arcade they have, so then he wanted to go play. But he was patient and waited until I was ready to take him and he did good and didn't throw a fit or get an attitude when he was out of game tokens. The most surprising part was that Brooke wasn't even in a highchair there. We let her sit in the booth...first she was between Joe and me and then between me and my sister once they got there. I'm still amazed at how well she did. It was a really fun time and I'm glad I chanced it and took the kids.

My parents and sister and brother-in-law headed home after the game. I actually had a hard time with it that night and ended up crying thinking about how I missed everyone from "back home" and being able to see them at the drop of a hat. It is true that living an hour away isn't a huge deal, but it's a lot different from being a few minutes away. I don't know if it will ever get easier for me or not. Overall, I am doing well with the move, but I do have my moments. I am definitely the happiest I've ever been....just have those moments of missing everyone sometimes.

P.S. We will definitely be closing on the house *by the 30th (most likely ON the 30th)! Everything is done (or just about done)! When I went by today (I pass the house every day taking Ryan to school), I noticed the "SOLD" sign is up :-). So excited!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you had a great weekend! And that you are so happy :)

I also live an hour from my parents. It has been 7.5 years now and I am more used to it. I talk to my mom almost daily. What is hard for me now is that they are getting older and need me more, plus Joey is in school all day, every day, so we can't just pick up and go for the day like we used to. You can take turns visiting. I see my parents about two times a month now, either here or there.

Carol

Anonymous said...

I live about 45 minutes from my parents and sisters. I talk to them often and visit on the weekends when Daryl isn't home. It does get easier, at least for me it did.

Sounds like you had a wonderful time this weekend. Glad to hear things are going so well.

~Sherry