Thursday, December 9, 2010

Potty Progress

Doesn't she look happy in that photo? She was mad because I wouldn't get her more books and then she got even more angry when I got the camera out. She does lots of whining and crying these days. I hope this stage passes quickly.

Anyway, moving on....

I sort of accidentally figured out this past weekend the trick to getting Brooke to go on the potty by herself. Backing up a little bit, the past couple weeks or so I hadn't been pushing the potty thing too much. She was pooping her pants EVERY time (and really, isn't the biggest reason to potty train so you don't have to deal with poopy pants anymore??) and a lot of the time when I would ask if she had to go potty or try to get her to try, she would refuse. And she wasn't taking the initiative to go on her own, ever. I didn't want to push her. I backed off on the whole thing.

Saturday afternoon she got that look on her face like she had to poop and I actually got her to sit on the potty. She sat for about 10 minutes and didn't do anything. Then she decided it was time to get up and play. I went to get her a clean diaper to put on and got distracted (that happens a lot to me...haha). Ten minutes or so later she yelled "I have to poop!" and ran over, sat down on her potty, and POOPED! I was shocked....and thrilled. So I decided to let her run around with no undies/diaper/pants on and see what happened, crossing my fingers that I wouldn't be cleaning up puddles of pee everywhere...or worse. The next thing I knew, she ran over and sat down and peed!

Since Saturday, she's been running around here with nothing on her bottom half (except socks and sometimes leg warmers, if she'll leave them on). I try to have her wear dresses, but she only has two right now, but she does have a couple longer shirts. She has only had 3 pee accidents....twice on the couch (grrr) and this morning she peed a tiny bit on her highchair because she didn't get to the potty in time (she finished in the potty). She has pooped in the potty EVERY time (save for once in a diaper when I had her playing in her room while I showered and I can't really blame her for that one). I know eventually I need to try putting her in underwear, but I don't want to do it too soon. She is doing SO well now! I hope it continues when she does start wearing underwear again.

Hopefully diapers will be a thing of the past very soon (except for bedtime)!

No comments: