Sunday, December 5, 2010

Ear Issues

Ryan had his first ear infection when he was around 18-24 months old. He didn't have another one until April 2009 and we only found out because I took him to the doctor for a bad cough he had. He wasn't complaining about ear pain. Then his next one was November 2009. Not too bad, considering I know of so many babies and toddlers and children that get them quite frequently. That didn't seem to be Ryan. Until August of this year. He had a really bad one a week before school started. He seems to have a high pain tolerance and I don't think his ear really started hurting him until it was almost ruptured. His dad took him to urgent care on a Sunday (Ryan was with him for the weekend) and then Tuesday morning he woke up and the cotton ball that had been in his ear was bloody. So I took him back to urgent care and his ear drum *had ruptured. They referred him to an ENT and we went there on Thursday. They put him on a stronger antibiotic and said to come back in 6-8 weeks for a recheck.

About a month later, I think it was September 20th, he started complaining again of his ear hurting (the right one, again). It was a Sunday morning and back to urgent care we went. Another infection was starting. The doctor said maybe it was because the first one hadn't completely cleared up. Or maybe he was going to start having problems with recurring ear infections. His follow up with the ENT was about 2 weeks later. The infection was cleared up, but there was still fluid in both ears. He said if he continued to have infections, they would probably want to put ear tubes in. I questioned him on why he might start getting infections all of a sudden and was told that sometimes the ear canal changes shape when kids grow and can cause the ear not to drain as well. He wanted to see him back in 6 months or sooner if there was a problem.

About 5-6 weeks later, Ryan complained AGAIN about his right ear hurting. I called the ENT to see if we could get in, but they didn't have an opening for a few days. I took the appointment, but then ended up taking him to urgent care the next morning because I didn't want to take the chance and wait it out. This time BOTH ears had infections brewing in them. I called and canceled the original ENT appointment and made a different one for the following week (that was November 18th). When we went in, the infections were cleared up, but once again, he had fluid sitting in both ears. The doctor thought it was time for tubes and so did I. I was tired of dealing with pretty much monthly ear infections and I'm sure Ryan was, too. Not only was he in pain from them, but he also couldn't hear very well. He still was not pleased about getting tubes in. They scheduled him for Monday, November 30th, which worked out great since he had that day off school anyway.

My mom was nice enough to come along with us, for moral support ;). I wasn't sure how Ryan was going to be since he was so against it. We had to be at the surgery center at 6:45....YUCK. But I would rather get up at 4:30 in the morning and have him be the first patient of the day, than not have to be there until later morning. He was in a GREAT mood that morning, as you can see.....

Talking to my mom while waiting for anesthesia to come talk to us.

My mom and I kept talking to him about how quick it would be and that he wouldn't feel anything and it wouldn't hurt or anything like that. I asked him to go back to the O.R. like a big boy and not cry and that we would see him in a few minutes after he woke up. I thought he was going to be okay. But he wasn't. He refused to go and so I picked him up and carried him to the doors and the nurse had to pry him out of my arms :(. It was a little before 8am...they were right on time.

My mom and I went to use the restroom and then went to the waiting room. We were sitting there less than 10 minutes before the doctor came out to tell us that everything went great and they would call us back to recovery to see him soon. I was a little nervous about this part because he is generally pretty crabby and uncooperative when he wakes up (I know this from the number of sedated eye exams he's had done). It was actually about 25 minutes later until they came to get us, but when we walked in, he was sitting on the bed eating a grape slushie and looking at the Rudolph ornament they had given him and in a pretty good mood. The nurse wanted him to take some tylenol, which he initially was fighting, but I finally got him to take it. He was discharged about 10 minutes later. We ended up getting home at 9:30am, which was awesome and Joe didn't even have to drop Brooke off at his sister-in-law's (who agreed to watch her) since he didn't leave for work until right after we got back.

Playing Wipeout on the DS not long after getting home.

Ryan was in a great mood the rest of the day. He only said his ear hurt a couple times, but he really wasn't complaining about pain. He didn't have a lot of drainage, which I was relieved about. He did take a 2 hour nap (and so did I!). He went to school the next day. He can hear very well again, which is great. I am REALLY hoping this is the last of his ear problems! He goes back to the ENT on the 30th of this month for a follow up and to get his hearing tested. I'm hoping for a good report :).

No comments: