Wednesday, November 3, 2010

30 Days of Thanks: Day 3

~*~*My Parents*~*~

I don't think I can say enough good things about my parents and my upbringing. We didn't have a lot of material things growing up and money was tight for most of my childhood, but I never remember feeling deprived or anything like that. We had plenty of the most important things....love and support and I think just the right amount of discipline. My parents are hardworking people that don't expect things to just be handed to them and they brought me and my sister and brother up to not expect it, either. They successfully raised three kids up to adulthood with no major catastrophes. That's not to say there weren't bumps in the road, but I think they did a great job of dealing with issues when they came up. I'm sure they had their moments of stress and wondering if they were doing the right thing, but I know they did the best they could and I think they did a great job. My mom had a rough childhood (that's putting it lightly) and I am so proud of her for coming out on top and being such a great nurturer even though it doesn't sound like she had a whole lot of that in her life growing up. She is amazing and I don't know what I would do without her. The same goes for my dad. They have both been such an amazing source of support for me always, but especially the last couple of years when my marriage really started to fall apart. I know they would both do anything for me (and the kids), while still making sure that I'm doing all *I* can for me (us) and I think there's no greater gift that a parent can give their child than knowing they will always be there.

No comments: